Wednesday 10 August 2011

Breakfast at Thurkah's

Thosai / Dosa with everything on

Breakfast is an important meal on weekends. We usually have breakfast out. This was a breakfast at an Indian coffee shop. AAA had his favourite thosai with everything on top. Most people would not have it that way but it is how he ate thosai when he was young. Packed and brought home by his dad with all the dhal, sambal and coconut soaked into the thosai. I like my thosai crispy (paper thosai) and I slowly break the crispy thosai with my fingers and dip pieces in the dhal and coconut. I especially like the coconut blended with some coriander.


I had putu mayam that morning. I often ate this for supper bought from the pasar malam (night market) when I was growing up. We usually have it with freshly grated coconut and brown sugar. I remember seeing this in Sri Lanka. They call it hoppers and it is usually eaten with something savoury instead of sweet. At mom's, the putu mayam man still comes around in the evening on a motorbike selling this. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow - you certainly know how to eat!
    Fox : ))

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks so good.. I'll have to do some research online for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fox, Yes, food is an important part of the weekend.

    Karrieann, I am thinking it would be quite difficult to cook these unless you have the right ingredients and utensils. But I have seen the flour mix for thosai in a supermarket.

    ReplyDelete